The term media literacy is often used interchangeably with other terms related to media and media technologies.
- Media refers to all electronic or digital means and print or artistic visuals used to transmit messages.
- Literacy is the ability to encode and decode symbols and to synthesize and analyze messages.
- Media literacy is the ability to encode and decode the symbols transmitted via media and the ability to synthesize, analyze and produce mediated messages.
- Media education is the study of media, including ‘hands on’ experiences and media production.
- Media literacy education is the educational field dedicated to teaching the skills associated with media literacy.
Source: "Media Literacy Defined." National Association for Media Literacy Education. National Association for Media Literacy Education, 06 Apr. 2016. Web. 05 Dec. 2016.